At Hematology & Oncology Consultants of Pennsylvania, P.C. we understand the life changing nature of your new diagnosis. We want you to be assured that we are caring for YOU and not just treating an illness. As you will be receiving an enormous amount of information, we wanted to give you an easily accessible guide should you have questions before or after your visit. Please feel free to call (717) 975-8900 for a more personalized response.
Our chemotherapy treatment times start at 8:00am and are completed by 4:30pm. All treatment appointments are scheduled in advance. If you are unable to make it to your appointment, please let us know as early as possible so that you can be rescheduled and your spot may be made available to another patient.
Before your treatment:
- Remember to take all of your regularly prescribed medications before your treatment unless your physician has instructed you otherwise.
- Be sure to eat prior to your treatment.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- If you have a mediport, please wear a button down shirt to allow for access.
- As patients on treatment often have a heightened sense of smell, please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne, or scented lotions.
After your treatment:
- Eat small frequent meals.
- Avoid spicy, fatty foods as well as dairy.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water per day.
It is normal to experience fatigue and flushing.
Because of the steroids used in certain chemotherapy regimens, some patients actually feel more energetic the day after treatment before becoming fatigued on Day 2.
For nausea after your treatment:
- Take your anti-nausea medications if ordered. Do NOT take any over the counter remedy without speaking to your doctor.
- Avoid spicy, fried foods and dairy.
- Eat small frequent meals,
- Follow a Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast (BRAT), bland diet
- Stay well hydrated with at least eight 8 oz glasses of fluid daily
- Avoid smoking
- If you became nauseated during your treatment, avoid eating for several hours prior to your next treatment.
- Do NOT drink, eat, or lie flat during vomiting
- If you cannot keep anything down, please call the office at (717) 975-8900.
For chemotherapy related diarrhea:
- Stop using stool softeners, laxatives, fiber supplements, etc.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and smoking
- Avoid fatty, spicy, or fried foods
- Increase your fluid intake to prevent dehydration
- Take loperamide (Imodium) 2 tablets after your first loose bowel movement, then one tablet after each loose bowel movement, up to 12 tablets/day.
- Try to keep your rectal area as clean as possible
For chemotherapy associated constipation:
- Stop using anti-diarrheal medications, i.e. Loperamide (Imodium)
- Take docusate sodium (Colace) 1-2 tablets 1-2 times/day
- If you are still having problems, you may add Senna.
- If the Senna does not provide relief, please use polyethylene glycol (MiraLAX) according to the package directions.
- Call the office at (717) 975-8900 for any and all concerns.