If you have chemotherapy related diarrhea:
- Keep well hydrated with at least ten-twelve 8 ounce glasses of non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated fluids.
- Stop using stool softeners, laxatives, fiber supplements, etc.
- Avoid caffeine. Avoid smoking.
- Take loperamide (Imodium) 2 tablets after your first loose bowel movement, then one tablet after each loose bowel movement, up to 12 tablets/day.
- Keep your rectal area as clean as possible. Sitz baths may be soothing.
- If you are feeling weak, lightheaded or notice decreased urine output, call the office at (717) 975-8900.